when the fog clears

by | |
I'm not even sure I want a cake. But my wife insists, and I think she's right (I'd probably want something to see that sets the theme), so I'm hovering over images of nothing but chocolate in my head, and the memory of my not wanting something so sweet. Maybe something with some filling inside, something that, when I rub my eyes in the wee hours of dawn, when the refrigerator fog clears, pokes me awake (a discovery): hey there's a cake here--I'm digging in. Over and over. Because it's not so sweet. And there's some filling inside. The last thing you want is to keep seeing cake and keep being reminded there's cake and whose birthday cake is it again, and that oh, there's cake, you want some cake?

Ayokong maumay.

And please, no two candles stabbed into the cake spelling out my age. We almost always eventually have to pull them out of the cake. Because the cake won't fit in the ref with the candles jutting out. And we're sure we'd see the candles later, in the same drawer where we keep the kitchen stuff, like old knives, barbeque sticks, plastic forks and spoons, electrical tape, and an unused can opener. Someone but someone on someday will slide open that drawer and see a 3 and 2 with wicks burned long ago and holler, huy, birthday ni Yayen, eto o, look: proof.

But that's in the foreseeable future, far and away from here, which is now, and now is the time for a cake. My cake. Darling, you buy. You choose. You know me better than any other psycho with thinning hair.

I'm gonna go grab the cat and hose him in the bathroom. It's my birthday after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous

Nagparinig? Hahaha... yes wabwab, no kendels.

Anonymous

Haha. Happy Birthday! More SEOs & rewrites to come! (Ay parang wish ko sa sarili ko yon. Kidding.)

Anonymous

i find this very funny, but the ideas are very poignant :) i feel exactly the same way. and by the way, i hate cake hehe... can i have a whole pan of birthday brownies instead? or a bithday cookie? what the hell, i want to blow candles on top of a pizza!

and please don't hose the kitteh.

Ayen

Anne, you bought the best cake. ^^

Yes, Benj. I'll surely work on that. Haha.

Tessa, no I didn't hose the kitteh. I'm going to boil him.... some hot water for his bath. :D

Anonymous

happy birthday, ayen :D

Anonymous

oh please... kawawang kuting. hehehe...

on my last birthday, i closed my mobile, cut off the doorbell, unplugged my computer, slept the whole day, got piss drunk alone in a bar and almost got into a fight when an acquaintance came in and remarked, "uy, pare, isn't it your birthday today?"

i'm thinking next year, i'll go up north and try eating some exotic dish i've never tried before.

happy birthday - belated though