the end of (week)days

by | |
The thing about being sick the whole week and with the fever and colds pouring down on the weekend is that you get to watch a lot of movies. We've got DSL at home. With my wife doing the laundry this weekend, and with her homey comfort food for me (tom-yang soup, did I spell that right? and my fave, lemon-butter sauced shrimps), I got to relax. Never mind the quality of the movies I saw. I downloaded and watched Shinobi (a teen love story with ninjas), Disturbia (a popcorn movie with that impossibly thin-slim girl), The Simpsons Movie (just a quality handcam version, no DVD-rips yet, lots of laughs, nostalgia, and datedness--I felt so 1990), Mr. Brooks (I just love psycho-killer films, Kevin Costner was amazing, just be sure to mentally block out the subplot with Demi Moore in it, because she adds nothing to the story), and I got to watch again The Prestige (the see-again-and-again mind job, nuff said). I'm downloading Oceans 13 and the Perfect Stranger as I write this. Mindless movie watching is fun. A perfect antithesis to a week-long writing job.

I am waiting for the last installment of the Bourne trilogy, with Matt Damon in it. Hmmm. The latest Harry Potter film wasn't worth seeing a movie house at all. Radcliffe is not easy in his own skin. Hermione is getting prettier and prettier in every film. I never liked the HP books that much anyway. As Jessica Zafra pointed out in her blog, just what is at stake here? How bad could it be if he who could not be named even though some people routinely get away with it and this routine is getting old I mean come on people wins?

Crap. It's Monday tomorrow.

3 comments:

Ton

did you just confess to a crime?

banzai cat

The Prestige movie is good but the book adds certain levels not applicable to the movie. (But gotta warn ya, the book is as dry as danggit.)

As for HP and what's at stake, unfortunately that's the usual problem about good-vs-evil concepts. There's no sense of the costs involved in such a conflict (even with the reported deaths of one or two characters).

Ayen

based on your impression on the danggitty quality of the book, i'm glad i haven't read it. as for HP, i had always thought that that all-hail-a-bygone-britain series tried too hard to be an epic. who cares if wizarding britain falls into a an arian-race-speechifying terrorist?

haay. yeah. good and evil can be tiring.